Description: This is my ideal meal! Falafels, Cilantro Jalapeños Hummus, Beetroot Hummus, Spiced Tortilla Chips, Pickled Jalapeños, Garlic and chilli olives, Carrot and Cucumber sticks – perfect for serving to a group of friends. Why not add a jug of Sangria or some summery cocktail to go with it! It’s a colourful social meal that everyone will enjoy digging into straight from the platter. You can include so many other items in your mezze platter – sun dried tomatoes, pitta bread, feta stuffed peppers, griddled halloumi cheese, baba ghanoush, marinated artichokes – to name a few!! Try this delicious mezze platter soon!!
Ingredients for hummus:
- 1 cup soaked & cooked chickpeas (or can use tinned)
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- handful coriander / cilantro leaves and 2 tbsp jalapenos for Cilantro Jalapeno hummus Or 1 medium sized boiled beetroot for Beetroot Hummus
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
Instructions for hummus:
- Blend 1 cup chickpeas, coriander, jalapenos (beetroot for beetroot hummus), sesame seeds, cumin powder, garlic, lemon, and salt without adding any water. Add olive oil and blend it further to a smooth paste.
Servings: 10-12 falafels
Ingredients for falafel:
- 1 cup soaked & cooked chickpeas (can use tinned)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- handful coriander/ cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp pepper crushed
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp plain flour/ all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- oil for deep frying
Instructions for falafel:
- Blend chickpeas, onion, cilantro, garlic, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, pepper, lemon juice, plain flour and salt and blend coarsely in a food processor without adding any water.
- Further add in baking soda and mix well.
- Now grease your hands and prepare small sized balls. Add more plain flour if the dough is sticking to your hands.
- Deep fry the balls in hot oil stirring occasionally on a medium flame and until the falafel turns golden brown.
Spiced Corn Tortilla Chips:
Servings: 24 chips
Ingredients: 3 small corn tortilla wraps, oregano, salt, chilli flakes and olive oil to spray..
- Preheat the oven to 170°c. Spray some olive oil on both sides of tortilla wraps.
- Cut the tortilla into quarters and then further cut each quarter in half to give you 8 triangles. Lay these triangles onto a baking tray (might be easier doing in couple of batches depending on the size of your baking tray).
- Sprinkle oregano, chilli flakes and salt evenly over the triangles. Bake in the oven for 6-7 minutes until lightly golden and crisp.