When I thought of red cabbage I thought of a salad dish but decided to take a different spin on the cabbage. The richness of colour, flavour of red cabbage shines through in this soup and apple just brings the right level of sweetness to the soup. On a whole a very healthy and tasty lunch!
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled & chopped
- 400g red cabbage, finely chopped
- 4 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 litre vegetable/chicken stock
- 2 medium apples, finely chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp cream
- salt, black pepper as per taste
- Toppings - chopped apple, parsley, seeds
Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the onion until translucent. Add potatoes, red cabbage & cook for further 5 minutes.
Add the cloves, bay leaves, stock & bring to a boil. Lower the heat, add chopped apple & simmer for 15-20 mins.
Remove the bay leaves & blend the soup until smooth. Add balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper as per taste & the cream. Garnish the soup with thin apple slices, seeds & parsley.