Soups are a staple lunch diet for us and winters are a great time to fill ourselves in with warm and hearty soups. I wanted to have a go at the soup which is different from the usual soups. This one is definitely going to help you with your 5 a day and combined with brilliant flavours and seasoning, it may even replace your usual lunch choice! Checkout the recipe below!!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels (save few stripped cobs for simmering the soup) - use fresh corn as canned or frozen won’t give the same taste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder (can use red chilli powder as per taste, if ancho chili not available)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- chopped cilantro for seasoning
Heat oil in a large pot, add corn kernels, chopped onion, chili powder, salt and black pepper. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 mins., until onions are soft and corn is lightly charred in spots. Add garlic and cook for a few more mins. until it turns aromatic.
Set aside 1 cup of this corn mixture. Stir in broth and 5-6 stripped corn cobs into the pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes and remove the corn cobs from the pot.
Stir in sour cream & cheese into the soup. Blend in a processor until desired consistency is achieved.
Gently reheat the soup and stir in the reserved corn mixture, lemon juice & chopped cilantro. Garnish with some more cheese & serve hot.