Why shortbread and cookies…I say why not! It’s been a challenging year for many and it’s that time of the year where anything that brings a smile on the face of kids….needs to be done! This is a great Xmas tradition so why hold back!
EMBOSSED LEMON SHORTBREAD
- 175g All-purpose plain flour
- 100g Butter, cubed
- 25g cornflour
- 60g icing sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- Zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 egg medium
- Combine the flours, sugar, lemon zest, salt & pulse briefly 10-12 times in a food processor until all ingredients are smooth and lump free. pulse again after adding butter & until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Pulse again for a few times with addition of egg & lemon juice & until everything is combined well.
- Transfer on a worktop & press the dough together to form a disc. Wrap in clingfilm & chill for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough with a normal rolling pin on a lightly floured worktop to around 4mmthickness. Lightly dust & spread the top of the dough with flour. Roll the dough with an embossed rolling pin while pressing down firmly and evenly as you go.
- cut out the cookies using cookie cutters of your choice. use up leftovers and re-roll to cut more cookies. Lay the cookies a cm apart on a lined baking sheet & chill for 1 hour before baking for 12-14 mins in a preheated oven at 160C until edges turn golden brown.
- Let cool on the baking tray before storing in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
EMBOSSED GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp softened butter
- 45g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, medium
- 2tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- Combine the flour, ginger, cinamon, cloves, baking soda, baking powder & salt & set aside.
- Beat the sugar & butter until fluffy & beat further with the egg. Add vanilla, lemon zest & molasses & beat further until well combined.
- MIx dry & wet ingredients & mix until just combined.
- Knead the dough into a ball, wrap in a cling film & set aside to rest for minimum 2 hours & up to 4 hours.
- Roll out the dough to about 5 mm thickness on a generously floured worktop. Now roll out further with the embossed rolling pin slowly & firmly. Cut out the cookies using the shapes of your choice & transfer with a spatula on a pre lined baking tray leaving an inch between them & bake at 190C preheated oven for 7 to 8 minutes until the edges turn darker. Let the cookies cool down before transferring into an airtight container.