Description: Hands up for those who like waffles…. chocolate….cherries….how about Dark chocolate waffles with balsamic cherry compote! Balsamic vinegar since it strengthens and deepens the flavour in some fruits like cherries, strawberries, grapes. Believe me, this breakfast was gobbled up by the family within minutes!! You can of course add maple syrup, chocolate spread or simply add some fruits… options are endless. Good part is you can also pop any leftover waffles in the toaster later in the week and enjoy them hot. What are you waiting for… Bon Appetit!!!
Ingredients for waffles :
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 170g finely chopped dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- Non Stick oil spray
Instructions for waffles:
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Blend and gradually include and mix dry ingredients from the sides.
- Beat the egg whites using an electric whisker until soft peaks form.
- Combine egg whites well with the waffle batter. Further add finely chopped dark chocolate.
- Heat your waffle maker and follow the instructions as per manufacturer guidance. Apply some oil spray and cook in batches. (Can keep warm in the oven at 120°C until ready to serve)..
Ingredients for Balsamic cherry compote:
- 2 cups pitted sweet cherries
- 3 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- orange rind, long strip
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
Instructions for Balsamic cherry compote:
- Combine cherries, vinegar, honey, orange rind, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper on a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir well and simmer on low heat until the sauce is slightly thickened. Serve warm over the waffles or stirred into yoghurt. This compote can be stored covered in a refrigerator for up to five days.